Park Policies & Rules
If you would like to hold an event at one of Owatonna’s parks, please review the park policies below and complete the Park Permit Application. Park permits are reviewed and approved by staff and the Park Board.
Looking for the best park in Owatonna to hold your event? Try our Owatonna Park Finder and sort parks by what you are looking for. Search by any one or combination of 30 park features!
- Closing Hours: All city parks in the City of Owatonna shall be closed from 11 p.m. until 6 a.m. on the following day.
- Liquor in Parks and Beaches: No person or persons shall display, consume, or possess any intoxicating liquor, non-intoxicating malt beverage or intoxicating malt beverage within parking areas, roadways, sidewalks abutting or the grounds in general of Central Park, Cashman Park, or Kaplan’s Woods Parkway in the City of Owatonna.
- Permit Required for Large Container of Alcoholic Beverages: Except in parks listed in previous statement, alcoholic beverages may be carried into any park for consumption, providing that for such purpose no container of greater than two quart capacity shall be allowed without permit from the office of the Director of Parks and Recreation.
- Prohibited Acts: It shall be unlawful for a person to possess, bring, carry, scatter, dump, deposit, leave or have under their actual physical control a glass beverage container in or within a City park, except for receptacles containing milk or baby formula used and possessed for the nursing of infants and receptacles containing prescription medications used and possessed by a person for whom such prescription is prescribed or possessed by a person caring for such person for whom the prescription medicine is prescribed.
- Fires: No fire shall be set in any park except a fire for picnic purposes at grill sites designated by the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Removal of Natural or Vegetative Material: No person shall remove from any park any plant or other natural object which exists in nature.
- Snowmobiles and horses: are not allowed in any parks.
- Pets: All pets must be on a leash, in control by a person. Any feces left by a pet must be removed by the person in control of the pet.
Tobacco use prohibited at outdoor youth recreation facilities owned by the City of Owatonna including:
- Baseball/softball fields
- Football fields
- Lake Kohlmier beach
- Soccer fields
- Warsinski Outdoor skating facility
Tobacco products shall also be prohibited at the spectator areas, restrooms, and concession areas of these facilities.
Living with Wildlife
- Department of Nature Resources - How To 'Live With Wildlife' In Your Backyard
- Section 1075 Deer Feeding Prohibition - The City of Owatonna's Deer Feeding Ordinance (PDF)
Please contact the Owatonna Police Department at 507-451-8232 to report anyone violating this ordinance.